Anyone that knows me knows I’m a fairly introverted soul. Here are 20 things about me that I didn’t put on my about me page.
20 things you probably don’t know about me
- I’m a plant Mama to many plants, but I’ve had to strip them back recently. I am down to 25.
- In my other life, I’m a professional freediver. Only, I have a fear of open water, and I don’t (can’t) dive. Send help.
- I try to surround myself with honest people, people who practise kindness, compassion and strength.
- After graduating, I began a fashion buying and merchandising career working with brands like River Island, Morgan and Figleaves. Years later, I founded my own E-commerce fashion business selling branded and high street clothing online, and it was through this, I discovered a connection with the camera that I couldn’t ignore.
- I have 2 children – 19 and 8. Parenting has brought many pleasant surprises and challenges, too, but being a Mum has been the most rewarding and challenging thing I’ve ever done.
- I’d only eat Marzipan if it were the last source of food on earth. However, (dairy-free) carrot cake is sent from the gods.
- Being creative and having an emotional and meaningful connection to my work are equally important to me. I’m grateful for that and to be able to do something I love.
- I have smile lines, grey strands, and my hair has a mind of its own. There are scars you can see and even deeper scars you cannot. I value close connections and real people.
- I’m a realist on the whole, and I believe social change is a must to progress in this world.
- My Auntie Ginny and Uncle Niron cook the best dahl, curry and roti and Jamaican patties. Period.
- When I was 15, I did a career/personality test as part of our career focus. I remember it listing photographer as a career, and I ignored it at the time. 17 years later, I got my first (semi-pro) camera; the rest is history. Oh, the irony.
- My background is a mixture of Indian and Caribbean. My parent were 1st generation immigrants. The stories I’ve heard from them and others like them never cease to amaze me.
- This is probably the most you will ever read about me.
- I like to get quiet and peaceful. My favourite thing is to be under a cosy blanket reading a book or watching something that either makes me laugh or cry
- When I was little, I had a bird – which died suddenly. And when I was 19, my cat ran away. I’ve also had many goldfish and tropical fish die on me. Thankfully our last cat gave us 15 years of her life and forgave me for my track record.
- When I was 18, I began a law degree to become a barrister. I don’t think my inner me would have allowed that to go anywhere, to be honest. I ended up leaving and later going on to do Fashion Management at the London College Of Fashion and a degree in Business Studies.
- Some of my biggest inspirations come from ordinary people and their stories of vulnerability, fear and feminine strength. And I truly know that we never know anyone’s story, but when you take the time to listen sometimes, you’ll be so astounded at what you hear.
- After a gruelling process of interviewing, I nearly appeared on the second series of the apprentice. Yet public speaking turns my stomach. Weird. Please don’t ask me how this happened; I don’t actually know.
- Meditation, yoga and spiritual awareness always have a place in my life and heart. Sometimes it’s less; sometimes it’s more. But it’s there.
- I randomly went off red and white meat 3 years ago, and I have to avoid dairy – which makes me almost vegan. I know many vegans like to talk about being vegan or plant-based; I’m not one of those. Not even sure why I included it at all, but I needed a number 20.
And if you read this whole list of 20 things you probably don’t know about me, well, I’m impressed. If you didn’t, well, you’re still here, so that’s pretty cool too.