So I’ve put together my very own list of thing that I personally found to be the most essential for me when I had my children.
It’s safe to say that it’s a bit of a minefield out there when it comes to babies. After having 2 children, I can tell you that although some things have changed over the years, it’s pretty much a standard that you don’t need a whole lot of the latest baby paraphernalia.
Yes, you can keep it fairly simple and minimal initially, then layer on what you need, as and when you need it. This will minimise unnecessary purchases, shop returns and excess ‘stuff’ that just doesn’t get used.
It’s worth mentioning that since I had my babies I’ve become a whole lot more conscious of choosing sustainable items basically just consuming only what we need to reduce waste and the impact on the environment. If that sounds of interest to you I’d recommend really doing your research on options available, you might be surprised at the cost vs benefit. Oh, and repurpose where you can, or save for another baby if that’s in the plan.
Let’s get to it….
My very own Top 15 Newborn Baby Essentials
- . Moses basket or a bedside crib
- 100% cotton Muslins – lots of them
- A good pram that is not too heavy, easy to manoeuvre and, is a good balance of protection, comfort and quality
- Car seat
- Baby bath – I had one with a stand but this Shnuggle looks cool too. They do grow out of these things pretty fast though so think carefully about this. We went straight into the big bath after this with a baby safety bath seat inside the bath
- Changing bag and travel changing mat – so many to chhoose from now but make sure you get this right. You can even get the backpack ones now
- Wipes/washable wipes – alot of people rate Water wipes
- Changing mat for home
- Clothing – sleep suits, vest, hat. maybe mittens
- Nappies and bum cream – cloth or disposable
- Formula feeding kit (I introduced one formula feed a day from the age of 3 weeks)
- Nipple cream – I used Lansinoh
- Coat/jacket/ all in one
- Baby sleeping bag – Oh my goodness this was like gold for us, can’t remember which one we had but it was a bit like this Jojo one with detachable sleeves
Nice to have
- Baby monitor
- White noise or Ewan the dream sheep I think there is a deluxe Ewan too!
- Sleepyhead or similar
- Breast pump – Alot of mums I meet love the Medela
- Carrier and/or Sling – used a babybjorn carrier but if I had my time again I’d choose a fabric one too for when they are teeny tiny – partly because I’m teeny tiny myself and the carrier wasn’t right for me, but it was perfect for my husband.
- Bouncy chair
- Nursing bras
- Changing table
- Nursing pillow
- Thermometer – we used The Philips Avent one but do your research
- Baby wash – We used the Weleda Baby range I particularly like the Shampoos and body wash, and my son still uses it today… and he is 6!
Really really nice to have
Chocolate for Mum and Dad – okay something homemade and delicious!
I hope my list of 15 Newborn Baby Essentials helps you out, even if it’s just a little. Most of all, enjoy this time preparing for your baby. It’s super fun…but the best is certainly yet to come.
With love and mindfulness,
Samantha is an award winning London Newborn and Natural Authentic Family Photographer.
Contact me to discuss how I can help you achieve timeless images that you will love forever.